Sunday, April 11, 2010

MY GOD MOTHER -2

That Sunday morning seemed to pass so slowly that I didn’t know what to do. Not only had I met her to believe there would be a humanitarian, was she the first to make me shocked and justified if I would be loved. I did not remember how the time went by. But I was aware that it would be better to catch a bus at around 2 P.M so I could reach her home at about 3 when she and others would have had a nap so I would be welcome.
It would be some time in December 1975, at about 3, when I got out of the bus. I was first shocked to see a double-store house at 20A Hien Vuong St. (Vo Thi Sau St. now) where I was supposed to be with her at weekend. I felt pitiful for myself and wondered how I would be treated. I looked around to find out what would comfort me or let me in or out. I stepped back and thought of a cup of coffee to release the tension. I didn’t have any thing to say nor anyone to ask for any information about her. Not wanting to break my promise, I decided to go back there. I thanked a young lady who did what I had been needing “to knock the door”.
Somewhat reluctantly, I approached her,
“Excuse me, is it the home of DI BA Who’s fat and short?”
“Ah, yeah, so you’re......” her reply was interrupted by a voice coming down from a first floor window.
“Thanh? we’ve been waiting, I’m coming down.”
A few seconds passed and there she was, opening the door. She held my hand emotionally, leaving the lady rather surprised.
“Follow me up” .
She took me into her room and asked me to be there for a moment. Be that as it may, I sat waiting for what would happen next but feeling, well, self- pitiful. However, I was comforted by the thought that if I could come, I could also leave. What would a waiting moment be like without its promising result? It was like staying in a court and waiting for the moment would come soon enough to bring me back to reality.
Nhu Ngoc, her youngest daughter came with a glass of lemon juice smiling not as naturally as she often did. I nodded saying something I could not remember. She replied and invited me the glass.
“Mum has told us about you many times this week. She also said you would be able to play the guitar so nicely.” she went on naturally,
“Would you like to play a piece now?”
I wished I had been able to play as much better as I was. I felt trembling and could not control myself.
I tried the best piece of music I had been playing successfully but I criticized it right after I had finished. To her surprise, she gave me a pleasing compliment I could not recognize how long that lasted but that may be the most embarrassing moment happening in my life.
My god mother just went upstairs and came into the room. She always smiled at us feeling so pleased. My presence just changed the family atmosphere.
“Is there more to her than her humanitarian mind giving me a part of her heart?” I was wondering.
Broadly smiling, she asked me if I had played any of my favorite pieces. “Yes” Ngoc answered on behalf of me.
“But not very well I’m afraid” I softly replied.
She came toward me comforting,
“You will be accustomed to anything and anyone here soon. They’ll be home soon. Feel free at home, Thanh”
Thanks goodness, my god mother was there with me just in time as I felt myself stressful.
What would my blood Mom feel if she could be told about my situation?

(To be continued.)

No comments:

Post a Comment