Saturday, July 24, 2010

I TEACH ENGLISH

Those from Bao Loc Agriculture high school, graduating as a bachelor of teaching Agriculture rarely become teachers of English like me and those teaching English rarely think of what I am thinking.
Luckily, I was offered a job as a teacher of English after I had got A level of English as I was considered to be most valuable candidates of that time. No one could ever imagine that I had previously worked for a schoolmate, Khue Bau, in Can Tho and for only one month every night I had practiced listening to 2 tapes with his wife’s very old cassette player. As I had never been trained how to teach, I found myself a way as I taught my first class for the beginners which was tough both for those learners and for me. When I was asked to teach a group of obstetricians, I had to go on my own way. Then I was asked to teach classes for children which were more challenging and interesting. I acted like either an actor or a singer, in some cases like an actor. While teachers try to hide how they have learned and how much they have understood English, I told my learners everything I had been doing how I had been learning. The teachers apply what they were taught. I apply what I could find or have found while teaching. They try to make English complicated so they can be asked for help. I try to make it as easy as it should be so they can do it themselves. They think they understand enough to teach. I warn myself “Never stop trying to understand more, about the learners, the lessons and my own teaching approaches.”
Nothing could stop me from learning more English at the time. I went on getting B after failing once due to my under average score on listening section. Without a second to lose, I tried to get C level which was extremely difficult for me. Then I spent more than 4 years studying myself to get a bachelor degree of English from Ha Noi University-distance- education English department in 1989. I have spent all the time I could have studying, finding out ways to explain to compare and to make difficult rules simple ones. I taught myself by following VOA special English, by teaching TOEFL class and by teaching “Speaking Class” so intentionally. I have treated foreign guests as well as I could to take advantage of speaking to them and at the same time I give my learners chances to practise their English. I have listened to English tapes or radio at anytime from dusk till dawn as I realize listening is the most time-consuming task of all skills.
(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment