Monday, May 3, 2010

An unforgetable telephone conversation

If I hadn’t spoken the way I did, it would never have happened to me or I would never have found a way a woman could ask me for her own need.
It happened to me in a morning when I was free, 13 years ago. When I got a telephone call, I was wondering what an American woman had been wanting me to help her do something. She sounded friendly and she explained she got to know me through a teen-age learner of mine who told her that I would be a nice guy, well, rather attractive. I imagined she had been lacking companionship and she needed to talk. I kept in mind the first air-conditioned- coffee shop- Phi Khanh- which had just been open so I was thinking of meeting her there. After talking to me for a few minutes, once being asked she made a slip of tounge, a VietNamse sound. So I asked her if she was a VietKieu. She admited that she left VN when she was 9 and she had been there for 20 years. At the moment, she was working as a registered nurse and she did not let me know much more about herself, neither did I. We acted the way Americans often do.
“I have overheard a nice cafe just open in town. Do you think we should be able to meet there for some small talks?” I said.
“My parents don’t let me go out and I think I have something else to do sooner or later.” replied quickly the lady.
“How do we get to know each other better if we don’t talk face to face?”
I actually wanted to talk to her as much as I had done once at a family gathering night of my learner’s weddings where I met a young- talented-lady who was studying for a master degree in International relationship.
“I prefer talking.” announced shortly she.
I felt a bit embarrassed and I wanted to know what she really wanted me to do. As a matter of fact, she refused to go out with me for a coffee. And as a Viet Namese- American woman, she asked me a question that I had never been thinking or reading, hearing from anywhere.
“Do you think you could stay with me overnight in a hotel room?”
I could not believe my ears so I asked for repetition putting it my own way.
“Do you mean to ask me to be with you overnight in a hotel?
“Yes.” she sounded so naturally and calmly.
“Do you think I could satisfy you sexually or physically?”
I wanted her to hear the adverbs so I stressed on them.
“I hope so.”
What a situation I fell in and I did not know how to deal with it. If any guy had been fallen in the same situation as mine, what would they have done and what would have women thought of it?
“I have to teach this evening till 9 and I have to prepare for something…”
“I could take care of everything and I’ll give you a call call then.” quickly replied the lady.
The conversation made me tense and concerned of course. It was a kind of challenge I had ever been in.
I had to attend the first year birthday of one of my young friends’s duaghters. There I kept figuring out what to do how to prepare for such a meeting. Fortunately, I recalled myself of Vu- one of my close learners. I called him asking for help in case I would have to go out. He promised to tell my wife a lie so there would be no problem at all. In class, I felt nervous and I could not stop myself from telling the learners that evening what had happened and what would probably happen next. Some doubted and wondered why I could show them what seemed to be a private matter.
One explaination I could find was “Anything is possible.”

No comments:

Post a Comment